Recently, I’ve started filming a lot of my travels. Pictures are a great way to remember an adventure, but there’s something special about watching a video. It brings the memories back so much more vividly.
As I have a GoPro, I decided to invest in a gopro stabilizer so my videos don’t suffer from “Shakeycam” footage that you see so much. When I was doing research to work out which stabilizer I should get, I found this site: https://www.gimbalreview.com/ which gave me a great round up of the current best 3-axis gimbals (a fancy word for stabilizer) on the market.
I decided to get the FeiyuTech GoPro gimbal reviewed on that site. I couldn’t be more happy with my purchase. The video I’m shooting now is looking so much better, it looks like it has been filmed by a professional film crew! I’d totally recommend buying one. Now only if they made one I could use in the rain. Maybe they will bring out a splash proof one soon.
Whether you’re walking through crowded airports, busy markets, or a scenic vista, headphones are such a valuable commodity. The right headphones with the right music can help set a scene that will make your trip more memorable. Many studies have shown how sound and smell can bring back powerful memories, more-so than sight even. Let’s explore some headphones that can help you build powerful memories.
1. Monoprice Monolith M560 Planar Headphones – $199.99
Monoprice is a company known for creating their own product lines with incredible quality for incredible prices. One great example of that is the Monolith M560’s. These are planar headphones at a non planar price. Aside from the amazing sound these headphones provide, they have fantastic aesthetic as well. Don’t compromise on either great sound or looks – get these instead.
2. Aftershokz AS600SG Trekz Titanium – $129.95
In parallel with Bluetooth, the Aftershokz use an emerging technology known as bone conduction. These headphones rest on the bone at the top of your jaw right in front of your ear. Once placed, the headphones vibrate and your brain translates it to sound. What’s the value of this technology? You can still hear your surroundings clearly while you listen to music. Don’t worry about getting ran over by taxis on busy Chinese streets when you’re sporting these. Oh yeah, and they use a Bluetooth connection.
3. Panasonic RP-HJE120-PPK In-Ear Headphone – $9.24
To round out the headphone types, here is a pair of headphones you might be happy to buy. These headphones are ultra budget – coming in at $9.24 they are quite the bargain. You might notice they are the Amazon #1 Best Seller in the earbud categories. There is a reason for that, these headphones provide an amazing value for the money. If you’re not an audiophile, aren’t bothered by earbud type headphones, and don’t feel the need to brag to all your friends about the price of your headphones, these might be the perfect fit for you.
You might have read recently that by 2020, 70% of the world’s population will own a smart phone. It’s safe to say that the market for portable power banks isn’t going anywhere, and in a time when our phones hold all of our important information, you don’t want to lose the keys to the kingdom mid-day. Let’s talk about some of the best Powerbanks on offer right now.
1. Anker PowerCore+ 20100 USB-C – $65.99
This product is coming in at number one for a couple reasons. First, because of it includes USB-C connectivity. USB-C is an emerging connection type that will soon replace all micro USB, USB-A, and other proprietary type connections. The newest Macbooks use USB-C. New Cell phones use USB-C. It’s important and this charger has it. It also has a 20100mAh capacity which is big enough to charge your phone 5 times over.
Xiaomi is an up-and-coming tech company from China. Early on in their life-cycle, Xiaomi was mostly noted for creating cheap, decent quality apple lookalikes. Nowadays, Xiaomi is hitting it out of the park with good quality products and great values. The Xiaomi 10000mAh Mi Power Bank Pro has USB-C, and quick charging which allows it to charge from 0-100% in 3 1/2 hours.
3. Zendure A2 Portable Charger 6700mAh – $29.95
If you’re a little too squeamish to order and use Chinese products, here is another charger in a similar price range to the Xiaomi power bank. Remember how we talked about the great value of Xiaomi products? This power bank really highlights that. This is a good option; it is small, light, and highly durable. Unfortunately it lacks USB-C or quick charging. Still, if you are looking for a bombproof (please don’t test that) power bank, this is your ticket.
You probably clicked that link and said “But…that’s luggage?”. Yes it is! However, The Carry-On suitcase sports a 10000mAh portable power bank on the back with two plug options, normal speed and high speed charging.
3 Awesome Backpacks For The Committed Traveller
When it comes to skipping around this globe, there is one thing I can tell you for sure; using the right backpack for the job is IMPORTANT! Whether you’re going to North Korea, the Amazon, or the next state over, a backpack is a crucial and often neglected cog in the machinery of travel. A lot of people find themselves really frustrated as they bend over backwards, trying to work around a backpack that can “do the job”. That’s fine for the once a year Christmas visit to the in-laws, but if you are serious about traveling you need to find a backpack that works for you!
There’s a vast universe of packs out there, but you’re not here to slog through an uninspired list of JanSport clones – you’ve got Google for that. Whether you’re a contract worker, a weekend warrior, a digital nomad, or a full blown jet-setter, you might be tempted to reassess your bag choices by the time you finish this article.
If safety is your main concern, Pacsafe has you in mind. You might have guessed it already by their name, but Pacsafe makes packs with a number of safety features to help ensure peace of mind. Let’s look at a list of safety features included with the Pacsafe Vibe 40:
- Slash-proof straps – to keep the bag on your person when you want it to be.
- Exterior slashguard mesh – which keeps knives from cutting your bag open from the outside.
- Interlocking zipper pulls – secures your back with zippers that take more than a quick yank to open, offering you time to react to the hand pulling at your bag.
- Puncture proof zipper – prevents thieves from quickly opening your bag at the zipper via knife.
- RFID blocking lining – your credit cards and ID’s aren’t going to get copied without your permission with this feature.
- Anti-theft lock – connect your zipper pulls to this anchored lock and keep your bag shut tight.
This backpack has a medium capacity and a heavy focus on making sure your trips through the airport are quick with minimum hassle. Aside from their attractive design and nice color variety, Timbuk2 are known for their quality and lifetime warranty. Here are some of the unique attributes of this backpack:
- Floating pocket at the top – Timbuk2 officially lists this as a pocket for sunglasses or a smartphone (it is fleece-lined), but it also perfectly fits a passport.
- TSA Compliant laptop compartment – This compartment folds out flat allowing you to run your backpack through security without removing your laptop.
- Channeled Back Mesh – your spine is nicely slotted in a mesh “valley” that allows plenty of breathability.
- Bottle opener on strap – so you can make friends anywhere.
The Tortuga Outbreaker is well known in the travel world and has it’s own share of pros and cons. The main selling point of the Outbreaker is the ability to comfortably hold everything you need to bring with you. Let’s check out the main components:
- Maximum carry-on size – Fit everything you could possibly bring on board with you, without having to check a bag.
- Waterproof – Take it with you anywhere, anytime, rain or shine.
- Hiking style suspension – reduce wear and tear on your shoulders!
- Clamshell zipper design – Open your backpack sideways like a suitcase, allowing you to get what you want without rifling through everything you brought.
The Osprey Farpoint Line of bags is well known for holding a LOT. I’m mentioning the whole line because you can get as big as 80 liters and as small as 40. It’s worth mentioning though that all bags above 40 liters come with an attachable day-pack.