3 Awesome Backpacks For The Committed Traveller
When it comes to skipping around this globe, there is one thing I can tell you for sure; using the right backpack for the job is IMPORTANT! Whether you’re going to North Korea, the Amazon, or the next state over, a backpack is a crucial and often neglected cog in the machinery of travel. A lot of people find themselves really frustrated as they bend over backwards, trying to work around a backpack that can “do the job”. That’s fine for the once a year Christmas visit to the in-laws, but if you are serious about traveling you need to find a backpack that works for you!
There’s a vast universe of packs out there, but you’re not here to slog through an uninspired list of JanSport clones – you’ve got Google for that. Whether you’re a contract worker, a weekend warrior, a digital nomad, or a full blown jet-setter, you might be tempted to reassess your bag choices by the time you finish this article.
1. Pacsafe Vibe 40 – $139.95
If safety is your main concern, Pacsafe has you in mind. You might have guessed it already by their name, but Pacsafe makes packs with a number of safety features to help ensure peace of mind. Let’s look at a list of safety features included with the Pacsafe Vibe 40:
- Slash-proof straps – to keep the bag on your person when you want it to be.
- Exterior slashguard mesh – which keeps knives from cutting your bag open from the outside.
- Interlocking zipper pulls – secures your back with zippers that take more than a quick yank to open, offering you time to react to the hand pulling at your bag.
- Puncture proof zipper – prevents thieves from quickly opening your bag at the zipper via knife.
- RFID blocking lining – your credit cards and ID’s aren’t going to get copied without your permission with this feature.
- Anti-theft lock – connect your zipper pulls to this anchored lock and keep your bag shut tight.
2. Timbuk2 Uptown – $119
This backpack has a medium capacity and a heavy focus on making sure your trips through the airport are quick with minimum hassle. Aside from their attractive design and nice color variety, Timbuk2 are known for their quality and lifetime warranty. Here are some of the unique attributes of this backpack:
- Floating pocket at the top – Timbuk2 officially lists this as a pocket for sunglasses or a smartphone (it is fleece-lined), but it also perfectly fits a passport.
- TSA Compliant laptop compartment – This compartment folds out flat allowing you to run your backpack through security without removing your laptop.
- Channeled Back Mesh – your spine is nicely slotted in a mesh “valley” that allows plenty of breathability.
- Bottle opener on strap – so you can make friends anywhere.
3. Tortuga Outbreaker – $249
The Tortuga Outbreaker is well known in the travel world and has it’s own share of pros and cons. The main selling point of the Outbreaker is the ability to comfortably hold everything you need to bring with you. Let’s check out the main components:
- Maximum carry-on size – Fit everything you could possibly bring on board with you, without having to check a bag.
- Waterproof – Take it with you anywhere, anytime, rain or shine.
- Hiking style suspension – reduce wear and tear on your shoulders!
- Clamshell zipper design – Open your backpack sideways like a suitcase, allowing you to get what you want without rifling through everything you brought.
Honorable Mention: Osprey Farpoint Line
The Osprey Farpoint Line of bags is well known for holding a LOT. I’m mentioning the whole line because you can get as big as 80 liters and as small as 40. It’s worth mentioning though that all bags above 40 liters come with an attachable day-pack.